How a water softener works
A water softener works by passing the incoming hard water through a sealed container called a resin vessel, which contains literally thousands of little ion exchange resin beads.
These beads attract and retain any hardness in the water i.e. scale and scum, that causes so much damage to your system.
When these beads become saturated with hardness, they need cleaning and regenerating for continued use. This is done by rinsing them with a weak solution of brine (salt and water).
The brine together with the previously collected hardness is then automatically flushed down the drain. This process takes place automatically as determined by the softener, with all that has to be done is ensure the softener is kept full of tablet salt.
In conclusion therefore, salt does not soften the water. The resin cleans/softens the water and when required the brine cleans the resin. During the cleaning of the resin, the previously collected scale and scum is discharged automatically down the drain together with the brine.
At no time does the brine enter the water supply.
It is important to understand that any sodium in the water is retained within the boiler when steam is created and does not enter the main chamber or food. This sodium is then sent to drain on blow down.
Regular problems that occur through hard water and high chlorine/chloramine levels…
- Lost revenue through dissatisfied customers
- Poor equipment performance
- Unnecessary and expensive equipment renewals
- Increased maintenance and repair costs
- Increased energy bills—you have to heat the scale before you can heat the water
- Equipment downtime leading to lost revenue
- Reduced life expectancy of equipment
- Increased staffing costs i.e. to clean streaky glasses
- Embarrassed staff through equipment failure
- Increased costs, lost sales and reduced profit
Benefits of soft, filtered & purified water
- Scale free machines
- Significantly lower maintenance costs
- Elimination of lost revenue through unnecessary equipment failure
- Increased water quality through the removal of heavy metals, lead, copper, mercury,
- scale etc, as well as chlorine, bad tastes and odours
- Tea, coffee and vended drinks free from scum
- Not only improved drinks, but enhanced food flavours too
- A scale free, chlorine free system, throughout the property
- SATISFIED CUSTOMERS…